Cairo Kairos

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Never Ending Birthday Celebration
I have just returned from yet another birthday celebration dinner! I must be honest I am enjoying it! I have had all you can eat sushi, amazing Chinese and tonight it was Japanese Tepanyaki and I still have a few more outstanding dinner invites to go! For some reason this years birthday came with a bit more ease than last years, maybe because I was mistaken about my age for most of last year and hence relieved to learn that I was turning 42 not 43. Either way I am OK with this growing older thing, well that is until someone asks if Caleb is my grandson then I am a bit bitter. I decided I don't feel 42 so I'm not! I must say it is weird though to be with my peers whose kids are in college whilst mine is turning 2 :)

Travis,my old intern who is now the youth pastor for the year, took me out along with his 2 new interns and it felt like old times again as they hissed and gasped as we drove through downtown traffic and stared in amazement at the sheep in the road and the overflowing minivans. I always loved seeing Cairo through the eyes of a new intern!

August in Cairo is first of all HOT, secondly it is hopping morning,noon and night especially night! All the Egyptians flock to the Med. coast and the Saudi's move in for the month. They come here and do everything they can't do there... and the money absolutely oozes through the town. September is around the corner and school will begin for everyone (although the big American school has started already) and life will return to normal for a short time until Ramadan begins in mid Sept. Which is like summer holiday all over again for a month. Yet another reason I am loving living outside of town and not so affected by the noise and traffic.

I have begun tutoring a bit but won't return to my regular schedule until Sept. as well. I seem to have plenty to do to keep me busy and lots of visitors to fill my social calendar so no complaining for my corner of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home