Cairo Kairos

Sunday, July 09, 2006


Man I have been online for hours!!!! Trying to catch up takes serious time. Fortunately Caleb was in a mellow mood happy to sit on the floor next to me and play with his cars and let me write away. This is not a normal thing!!! I had this brilliant idea to post the Christmas letter that never got sent with teh pic that I had 50 copies made of and never sent (hmmm a reoccuring theme I also have 50 copies of the previous years photo never sent!) I never know who knows what so sorry if this is old news. I know I e-mailed this letter out so those who I didn't have a hard address for but for the rest of year Merry Christmas!


New Years Resolution 2006…send in my 2003 and 2004 tax forms that have been sitting on my desk for the last year AND write my Christmas 2004 and 2005 letter.

OK, so the taxes are still on my desk waiting for the right size envelope to appear but here goes with the Christmas letter!

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words but I will include a few of my own to explain the cute little face if you have not already heard. Caleb Christopher Widener is his name and bringing me much joy and laughter is his game. As most of you know I rarely do things the normal way and Caleb is no exception. Lets just say that he was nothing short of a miracle from God. Someone asked me not long after Macon had died whether or not I would be open to getting another child like I had gotten Macon. As much as I cherished the gift that Macon was in my life, I wasn’t all that enthused about walking that journey again in the same fashion (i.e. no papers nor legal security). I told this friend rather emphatically “No! God would have to drop a child off on my doorsteps for me to know I was supposed to do that again.”…yeah… so I am a Mom again. He was delivered to me at about 4 hours old and just over 4 pounds to hold. Amazing huh?

It is hard to describe the radical change my life has taken over the last 2 years. After 10 years as the Youth Pastor at Maadi Community Church I stepped out into the unknown in June of 2004. Still grieving the loss of Macon I was unsure of what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go, and even more clueless as to God’s plans for my life, but I knew that I wanted to stay put for a time here in Egypt and figure things out at a slower pace. I really was at peace and yet anxious to see what God had in store for me. The summer of 2004 I went back to the U.S. for a short visit and then returned back to Cairo and had to move out of church provided housing and begin fending for myself. I found a cute little apartment reasonably priced and with the help of some youth group kids painted it up funky and made myself a new home. In late August I got a call from a friend of a friend asking if I could help with her teenage son who was doing a home schooling program. I said “yes” and one thing led to another and I found myself employed part –time at a small school for kids who, for either academic reasons or behavioral reasons, were not accepted at the American school here. I teach writing and grammar as well as history to a couple of kids with mild learning disabilities. I also began to get a number of calls asking for after school tutoring in various subjects. None of this was really what I was looking for nor expecting but what an amazing gift it has turned out to be! No sooner had I gotten this job then Caleb came into my life. What a perfect set up! I had an income that covered my needs, I had a versatile and flexible schedule that allowed me to handle caring for a newborn, and I had great friends who shared the early months with me! Like a red carpet rolled out at the Oscars I walked the path with no doubt that God was in control and leading.

So here we are 1-½ years later, Caleb is 17 months old and full of life and raw energy. He has the most beautiful eyes you can imagine with his lashes curling up to touch his brow. He has a mop of curly brown hair that I can’t bring myself to cut, and these big white teeth that look like Chiclets planted right in the center of his smile. Everyday I look at him and my heart swells with delight at how good God has been to both of us. Over and over again I think of Job’s words “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away blessed be the name of the Lord!” and the Lord gives again!

Besides work and mothering I am also enjoying being back in ministry again as I lead a small youth group at another expatriate church downtown. It is a church filled mostly with Christian workers so most of the youth have been here long term. Neat kids and very appreciative of anything I offer. Unfortunately time and transportation issues keep me from spending the individual time with them that I would like but I think good stuff is happening anyhow. After sitting all week and talking simplistic grammar and study skills with kids it is good to be in a role that is familiar and challenging.

I continue to enjoy being a part of the community here and the chance to still interact with my old youth group kids is such a privilege. I even have an old youth grouper living with me for the year, which is cool!

In many ways life is very full and busy but I must say compared to the life of a full time youth pastor this pace is way slower and more relaxing. It took me a whole year to get over guilt pangs when I laid on the couch to read a book, or took an after church nap but I think I am cured now.

Forgive me for my poor correspondence but believe me when I say that I do cherish the friendships that I have around the world and that out of sight DOES NOT mean out of mind!

Enshallah, (Lord willing) I will write again before the New Year, until then peace and good tidings,

Love,
Amy and Caleb

2 Comments:

Blogger juf Ineke said...

Hey Amy!
I love your blog! I hope you can keep it up! I'd love to come spend a night at your new place next Christmas, as we missed eachother last time I was in Egypt.

sending you a hug!
Ineke

4:44 AM  
Blogger marcel said...

hey amy,
i actually found this bij searching blogspot because i heard you had a blog from ineke... good to hear/see how you're doing!
God bless,
Marcel

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home