Cairo Kairos

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Mokkatam Cave Church

It has been a while since I last posted and so I have some catching up to do. I have been something of a tourist again with having Nancy and Caleb here and enjoy sharing some of the unique sights of this ancient land. The traditional sights such as the Pyramids I have "allowed" them to experience solo but the wandering around the backstreets and countryside I love.
I took them to the garbage city on the outskirts of town where as the name indicates all the garbage is taken and is sorted for recycling. You can imagine the sights and smells of garbage sitting in 100 degree heat! Yet in the midst of this stench operates one of the most active and vibrant churches in this land. The Mokkatam Cave Church is what we call it although it is really an amphitheater (the original church which sat 5000 was in a cave near by).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home