Cairo Kairos

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Dear All,
The guilt is getting to me over my failure to produce a letter, so I thought that maybe I could put something together here and invite folks to catch up with my life via this blog. I feel like on the one hand I communicate a great deal via this blog, and Facebook, and e-mail, but then I realized that there is a whole segment of my friendship world of which I am not virtually connected,so if that includes you welcome!

I know it is trite to say, but I really can't believe yet another year has swept by me! For the most part not much has changed since my last Christmas letter. It is Christmas break and again I am packing to move apartments, (my 7th move in 14 years!!) but I have assurances that this is my last move for a long time...enshallah! I am still in Egypt, still tutoring, still working with youth, still loving life, still single and the list goes on. But I will attempt to make the same old thing a bit more interesting and informative.

I continue to earn a living tutoring kids primarily with special needs. I enjoy the interaction a great deal and find it pretty stress free which is nice. This year I have changed my scheduling around so that I am home most of the day with Caleb, and then I start work when school lets out at 3:15. He is going to school 3 mornings a week and is absolutely thriving on the social interaction. He is a a definite extrovert whose philosophy seems to be "The more the merrier!" He is finally starting to speak coherently and sure enough it is a mix of English and Arabic. For the most part words concerning household matters are in Arabic and everything else that involves people and school and the outside world is in English. He also chooses which ever language offers the easier version of a certain word.Now that he has words to work with we can earnestly embark upon potty training which is one of my goals for the holiday break.

This past year included visits from my aunt and my mom in April and good friends the Capps' came in August. On my mother's visit we enjoyed a week at a time share in Sharm El Sheik which is a luxury resort on the Red Sea. The weather was great and the snorkeling awe inspiring. I had longed to get my mom there and get her head under water to experience it's beauty.She enjoyed it and it was a great experience. August brought Kelly and Erin back to visit along with Erin's mom Tallie. It was like Christmas in August as they came laden with good coffee, games, clothing and various yummies to remind me of home.We spent most of our time hanging out with old friends and enjoying coffee on the balcony, and then we made a short visit to Dahab; a less luxurious but equally as beautiful resort on the Red Sea. We celebrated my 43rd birthday out under the stars in the shadow of Mt. Sinai...how is that for cool?

I made a return trip to the Sinai for a 4 day backpacking trip in October. The scenery was amazing and so much more than I ever imagined existed out in the wilderness of the Sinai desert! I now have a better understanding of how Moses and the Israelites could have survived out there and also great admiration for their stamina. (photos in my Oct. blog posting)

I have continued to lead a small youth group in another expat church in the downtown area of Cairo, but feel this will likely be the last year for that. I continue to love teaching and sharing the amazing story of Christ and will look for other ways to use my gift in that area. Another big focus for me this year was my role on the Senior Pastor Search Committee. It was a task I reluctantly accepted having a deep fear of committee work, but found myself pleasantly surprised. We were a very diverse group and yet gelled as a committee and really worked in harmony the whole time. Hashing through 50 resumes was much more difficult than I had expected, and learning to ask hard questions and examine my own motives proved to be an eye opening experience. Joyously we announced a candidate right before we broke for Christmas break, and so we as a church anxiously await a visit later in January to see if he is God's man to lead our church forward. It has been a very hard year as a church and I think we are all eager to start a new chapter.

As I look forward to the year to come I expect a visit from my Dad in late March and doing some new exploration with him. More visitors are always welcome! Many ask when I plan on returning to the US for a visit but at this point don't hold your breath. I am simply not comfortable leaving the country and leaving Caleb behind, as I do not have the necessary paperwork to get him out. Hopefully in the coming months I will be asking many of you to join me in a letter writing campaign to seek stateside assistance. Obviously I can not go into great detail here but will let you know when the time comes. In the meantime, please continue to pray that God will unfold His plan and give guidance and wisdom on when and how to proceed.

Fortunately I love this land and the people of it and believe that God has great things in store for Egypt in His plan. This country is pivotal in the region and the stability here helps determine stability elsewhere so keep us in your prayers! God is so good in so many ways and it is such a privilege and joy to be called a daughter of the Most High God. I do hope that in this holiday season you are celebrating it in its fullness and depth!
Blessings and Love,
Amy

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger alawcrew said...

Hey Friend,
Another move?! Crazy, I hope you get to stay in this next one for a while. Loved the pics and the letter. All is well here, my house is under construction at the moment. I'm putting in new flooring so it's a wreck right now. Oh well, the end result will be so worth it. Happy New Year! Ang

9:15 AM  
Blogger auDi tHis woRld said...

Hey Amy! Great Christmas letter and update! I want to be a part of helping with Caleb's paperwork when that time comes, so let me know what needs to be done! I sure wish you and the little man could come to Texas for a visit. Let's get him what he needs so I can hug your neck!! Or...maybe I'll get to come your way - next summer!?!?!?!? Who knows! Daniel is going to begin alternative certification to be a Spanish teacher in Fort Worth. The program starts in the evenings and on Saturdays this summer. He would begin teaching in August! It'll be a nice increase in salary for us, but mostly it will mean that he gets to do what God created him to do - teach!

Love you!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Madge said...

Amy Widener!

I just had a moment to read your Christmas letter, and it's great to hear how you are, in a nutshell.

I'm at ogeeof@comcast.net and keep a blog on livejournal under gfaith.

Hope to connect soon. Take care. Faith

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home